Peter Williams played the 10 songs he would choose to have on a deserted island this past Friday night. Along with the great music, Peter brought the recipe for a traditional frozen dessert along with stories of being an artist in Sitka, Stardust Ball performances (he was one of the award winning Village People in 2004), and hunting for marine mammels. Here is Peter’s playlist, the dessert recipe and a recording of the show…
1) Cygnet Committee – by David Bowie
2) Lay Down – by Melanie
3) 1940 (AmpLive Remix) – by The Submarines
4) Heart of a Lion (Kid Cudi Theme Music) – by Kid Cudi
5) When I’m Small – by Phantogram
6) Nothin But Time – by Cat Power
7) Jocasta – by Noah & The Whale
8) Mouth Full of Diamonds – by Phantogram
9) The Witness Dull Surprise – by Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
10) Where I Belong – by Switchfoot
DESSERT: Akutaq (pronounced agooduk)
1 1/2 cups seal fat
1/2 cup water or 2 cups loose snow
4 cups berries
1/2 cup sugar
Grate or grind fat into small pieces. In a large pot over low heat, add fat and stir until it becomes a liquid (the fat should never get hotter than it is comfortable to your hand). Remove from heat and continue stirring the fat in big circles.
While continuing to stir at a steady rate, add 1/4 cup water or 1 cup snow. As fat slowly cools and starts to get fluffy and white, add remaining 1/4 cup water or 1 cup snow and sugar continuing to stir.
When the Akutaq is as white and fluffy as you can make it, fold in berries. Form into desired shape. Cover and freeze to firm up.