Local News

Battery makes for smoky Monday at city hall

Firefighters discuss how to handle a leaky battery in Sitka's city hall on Monday morning. (KCAW photo by Ed Ronco)

Firefighters discuss how to handle a leaky battery in Sitka’s city hall on Monday morning. (KCAW photo by Ed Ronco)

Sitka’s city hall evacuated briefly on Monday morning after a backup battery started smoking in a third-floor closet.

Assistant Fire Chief Al Stevens says battery acid was leaking out and causing the smoke. Initially, firefighters set up a fan in the main stairwell to vent the building.

But when they tried to move the battery outside, it began smoking some more, and workers were evacuated.

There were no injuries during the incident, which lasted about an hour.

Comments

Please read our comment guidelines.

Recent News

Yakutat off the air

pleasestandby_web
Yakutat is temporarily off the air. We've got our engineers looking into the problem, and we hope to have things back up and running shortly. Thank you so much for your patience, and we apologize for any inconvenience. more

Native language bill has personal meaning for Sitka family

Jessie Johnnie's speech was recorded by X̱'unei Lance Twitchell in September 2011. He asked her what students of the Tlingit language need in order to succeed.
Twenty Native languages, including Tlingit, Haida, and Tsimshian, became official state languages on Thursday, Oct. 23. For Sitka resident Heather Powell, the signing marked a personal victory for a member of her family. more