Local News

Battery makes for smoky Monday at city hall

Firefighters discuss how to handle a leaky battery in Sitka's city hall on Monday morning. (KCAW photo by Ed Ronco)

Firefighters discuss how to handle a leaky battery in Sitka’s city hall on Monday morning. (KCAW photo by Ed Ronco)

Sitka’s city hall evacuated briefly on Monday morning after a backup battery started smoking in a third-floor closet.

Assistant Fire Chief Al Stevens says battery acid was leaking out and causing the smoke. Initially, firefighters set up a fan in the main stairwell to vent the building.

But when they tried to move the battery outside, it began smoking some more, and workers were evacuated.

There were no injuries during the incident, which lasted about an hour.

Comments

Please read our comment guidelines.

Recent News

Waldholz signs off: “I am just proud of this radio station”

10014056_10101188215832742_1652773386_o
Rachel Waldholz is the Reporter for Raven Radio - KCAW. And after two years and countless stories, today is her last day on the job. In September, Waldholz will join the APRN as a roving, state-wide reporter on energy issues in Alaska. Beginning Monday, August 31st, Melissa Marconi-Wenzel will return as Morning Edition Host. Former Winter Fellow Emily Kwong will be the interim reporter as Raven Radio seeks a permanent replacement. Downloadable audio. more

Sitka organizations offer free counseling in aftermath of slides

From left, John Raasch, of Youth Advocates of Sitka; Marita Bailey, Amy Zanuzoski and Carol Berge, of Sitka Counseling and Prevention Services; and Parcae Soule, of SEARHC, spoke about counseling resources available to Sitkans. (Rachel Waldholz, KCAW)
As the city continues to cope with the aftermath of last week’s landslides, Sitka's emergency responders had one key message on Thursday: take care of yourself, and make sure to ask for help if you need it. more