This ¾ time exempt position under the guidance and supervision of the General Manager will coordinate KCAW-FM programming and operations, manage and schedule a large volunteer program, and facilitate community involvement in the station.
1. Manages volunteer program; helps to recruit, train, and evaluate volunteers. Schedules volunteers to fill program substitutions. Works with General Manager to schedule permanent program hosts.
2. Monitors and works to improve quality of the on-air sound.
3. Produces community public service announcements with digital editing software and trains volunteers to do the same.
4. Coordinates special programming events and outreach projects.
5. Under guidance of the General Manager, programs and maintains automation, operations and PRSS computer systems.
6. Researches programming options from a variety of local, regional, national and international sources.
7. Works cooperatively with General Manager in establishing program content and format.
8. Works cooperatively with News Director and General Manager in scheduling news and public affairs programming.
9. Helps with promotion and public awareness of the radio program schedule; helps develop on-air and off-air promotion campaigns.
10. Helps with development of internet content.
11. Coordinates and participates with the Community Advisory Board and other programming related committees as needed.
12. Acts as station’s Music Director.
13. Works cooperatively with Development Director on scheduling of underwriting and EPSAs.
14. Assists Station Manager to maintain compliance with FCC regulations.
15. Produces and/or hosts programs on-air.
16. Performs other duties as assigned.
Reports directly to General Manager.
Supervises 100+ volunteer programmers and producers.
1. Ability to work under pressure and to work well with a wide variety of people.
2. Strong production and on-air performance skills, as demonstrated by an audition tape.
3. A strong commitment to community involvement, creative radio, public information, audience building and promotion techniques.
4. Demonstrated volunteer supervision and interpersonal skills.
5. Exceptional organizational skills.
6. Strong computer skills.
7. Demonstrated teaching skills.
8. A minimum of one year radio experience with emphasis on community radio. Similar or equivalent experience will be considered.
9. Familiarity with AudioVault, Adobe Audition and the Public Radio Satellite System or equivalent, or the demonstrated capacity and willingness to quickly become so.
10. Ability to work flexible schedule.
11. Knowledge and appreciation of a wide variety of musical genres.
$28,860 – $32,077. This position is classified ¾ time exempt with sick and annual leave but without health and retirement benefits.
THE STATION AND COMMUNITY
Raven Radio is an eclectic, NPR/PRI/APRN member, community-licensed station. KCAW is a digital production facility. EEO. We serve eight communities for a population of about eleven thousand people. The station is located in Sitka, an historic, multi-cultural town on Baranof Island at the edge of the Gulf of Alaska. It is a remote and wild place with mild temperatures and about six feet of rain per year.
Position is open until filled. Submit letter of interest, resume, references, and .mp3 audio samples demonstrating delivery and production skills to General Manager Ken Fate at email@example.com. Applications are also accepted at Raven Radio, 2 Lincoln Street, Suite B, Sitka, AK 99835.