Update Friday, 5-27-16, 4:30 PM
Shellfish in Southeast are showing a high risk for biotoxins, specifically those that cause paralytic shellfish poisoning.
On Monday (5-25-16), the Sitka Tribe of Alaska’s Environmental Research Lab (STAERL) found elevated levels of toxins at Starrigavan Beach in Sitka, Sandy Beach in Petersburg, the Boat Ramp in Klawock, and Graveyard Beach in Craig.
Clams, mussels, oysters, and cockles should not be harvested at this time. Symptoms for PSP include tingling of the lips or fingertips and numbness of the arms or legs. PSP can be fatal. Anyone with these symptoms should seek immediate medical care or call 9-1-1.
Find test data here.
For more information, contact STA’s lab at 747-7395 or visit their website at seator.org.