Love Sitka? Love working with people and helping volunteers find a way to support our radio community? Raven Radio seeks an enthusiastic, self-motivated team member to be our Volunteer Coordinator.
This full-time position, under the guidance and supervision of the General Manager (GM), will coordinate KCAW’s on-air volunteer program, oversee KCAW’s volunteer tracking system, and administer KCAW’s hybrid on-air training system.
- Coordinates volunteer program. This position is the primary liaison between KCAW and the station’s volunteer pool. Fields questions and requests, and communicates with station staff about any volunteer issues or opportunities that may arise.
- Oversees volunteer sign-up, tracking system, and communication procedures. Distributes volunteer intake forms to effectively collect information on potential volunteers. Inputs information on volunteers in a cloud-based tracking system containing contact information, training records, availability, interests, and more. Creates listserv for ongoing volunteer communications, with an eye towards volunteer self-sufficiency and empowerment. Reaches out to individual volunteers as needed with feedback.
- Facilitates on-boarding and filling open volunteer positions. Directs volunteers to appropriate areas of work and notifies volunteers of open opportunities. Communicates station needs and follows up on requests for volunteers, scheduling volunteers as necessary. Ensures that the mission, vision, and values of Raven Radio are clearly communicated and understood by all volunteers.
- Aids in planning around KCAW’s volunteer program. Gives input on the volunteer ‘journey,’ mapping out the various pathways KCAW volunteers may take to work in different parts of the station. Works with the General Manager and Operations Director to maintain our hybrid online/in-person training program.
- Develops outreach opportunities. Collaborates in the recruitment of volunteers with other station staff, and coordinates awareness-building activities in partnership with outside organizations.
- Works collaboratively with other KCAW staff. Works with station personnel to determine needs for additional staffing around special events, membership drives, production, and other work as needed. Fills open positions across departments.
- Drafts volunteer documentation. Spearheads revisions to the KCAW volunteer agreements, volunteer handbook, and other documents outlining the roles and responsibilities of volunteers at the station in collaboration with station management. Responsible for implementing any changes and notifying KCAW’s community of volunteers.
- Plans volunteer recognition activities. Creates opportunities for KCAW volunteers to gather and grow community. Researches and plans different ways that recognize the value of volunteers to the station.
- Represents KCAW through tours and outreach opportunities. Guides station visits. Gives presentations and workshops off-site about the radio station.
- Collaborates on KCAW programming decisions. Works with General Manager and Operations Director to make revisions to KCAW’s on-air schedule, incorporating recommendations from KCAW’s community/Community Advisory Board.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the General Manager.
This role reports directly to the General Manager. The Volunteer Coordinator works with 100+ volunteer programmers and producers.
- Knowledge of and passion for community radio and KCAW’s mission. Must be interested in radio!
- Ability to work under pressure and to work well with a wide variety of people.
- Experience as a volunteer, preferably with a nonprofit community organization.
- Experience in mediation, conflict resolution, and active listening.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills — able to use effective verbal and written communication.
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills.
- Strong computer skills. Has a demonstrated capacity and willingness to learn programming technologies quickly.
- Experience with Airtable, Google Drive (particularly, Google Forms & Google Calendar,) ConstantContact, and WordPress is preferred.
- Technical knowledge of radio broadcast related equipment and audio equipment preferred.
- Ability to work with, train and support a diverse group of people and the ability to explain technical matters to non-technical beginners.
- A minimum of one year radio experience with emphasis on community radio. Similar or equivalent experience will be considered.
Salary starts at $32,310. This position is classified full time exempt with sick and annual leave as well as health and retirement benefits. KCAW is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
HOW TO APPLY
Send a resume, cover letter and up to 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications accepted until the position is filled. Initial screening begins November 26th, 2021.