Our Deserted Island guest for July 6th, 2013 was Roxann Gagner. She is a teacher at Blatchely Middle School and recently earned her MA degree in History. She grew up in Polson, Montana, enjoys spending time outdoors with her family, has a good voice which she shares on occasion , like karaoke at her wedding. We asked Roxann which ten songs she would choose to have on hand if stranded on a deserted island, perhaps forever. We played the songs and she shared her reasons for picking them. Here is a recording of the program, her list of songs, and the recipe for Roxann’s favorite dessert, Scotcharoos (it is after all, a deserted island.)
1) Shameless – Garth Brooks
2) Suspicious Minds – Elvis
3) Brandy – Looking Glass
4) Blinded by the Light – Manferd Mann
5) I Love Rock N Roll – Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
6) Rollin in the Deep – Adele
7) Sixteen Tons – Tennessee Ernie Ford
8) Rockin with the Rhythm of the Rain – The Judds
9) It’s Too Late – Carole King
10) Philadelphia Freedom – Elton John
Dessert – Scotcharoos
1 cup white sugar
1 cup light Karo syrup
1 ½ cup peanut butter
6 cups Special K cereal
½ cup chocolate chip
½ cup butterscotch chips
- Generously butter a 9×13 inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large pot, mix together corn syrup, sugar, and peanut butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring until peanut butter melts. Bring mixture to a boil. Remove from heat, and stir in Special K cereal.
- Transfer mixture into a well-buttered 9×13 inch pan. With your hands well-buttered, pat it down into pan.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium low heat, melt chocolate chips and butterscotch chips until smooth. Spread over top of bars and let bars cool. Cut into squares.