A fire on Saturday night (8-1-15) destroyed a Sitka home, but all three occupants escaped unhurt. The blaze was apparently sparked by fireworks.
Sitka Police received several 911 calls starting at 10:52 p.m. Saturday, reporting the fire at 2026-D Halibut Point Road.
Firefighters were on the scene within six minutes of the first call, but Assistant Fire Chief Al Stevens said the trailer was already entirely engulfed in flames. A total of 17 people responded from the fire department, including emergency medical personnel.
The trailer home was completely destroyed, but a garage on the property and several other homes in the cul-de-sac were undamaged.
There were three people at home at the time of the fire: residents Rick Anderson and Terri Wenger, and a grandson. All three made it out of the trailer in plenty of time, Stevens said.
The department is still investigating the fire, but Stevens said that so far, signs point to mishandled fireworks.
Family and friends have set up a fund to help Anderson and Wenger.