An Angoon man suffered a sprained ankle when the house he was living in collapsed on Friday night in strong winds.

Randall Gamble, city council member and acting fire chief, says the Beaver Trail Street residence had not been properly maintained. The structure was built on pilings.

“The upkeep of the building wasn’t kept up basically and that’s why it went over to the beach, not the ocean,” he said.

The Angoon village public safety officer, Fire, and EMS responded to the incident, which happened around 8:40 p.m. Gamble says the man involved in the incident was shaken, but otherwise okay.

“Other than that that’s all that’s happened,” Gamble said. “The electrical people came down and cut power to the house and everybody is safe.”

The house is expected to be a complete loss.