Love Sitka? Want to learn how the radio works and get paid? Raven Radio seeks an enthusiastic, self-motivated team member to be an apprentice to our Operations Director.
KCAW is seeking a part-time Operations Apprentice. This role works directly with Bryan Lovett, our current Operations Director, in order to keep the radio on the air. We’re looking to train someone who is interested in learning more about all the technology we use at KCAW – there are great candidates who might not check all these boxes or who have skills and valuable experiences we haven’t named here.
If that’s you and you’re on the fence about pursuing this opportunity, please don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
A successful candidate in this role will learn to coordinate engineering projects with our General Manager and technical staff. They will learn how to talk about technology with staff and volunteers – who all have different levels of comfort with it. This position is meant to provide on-the-job training and mentorship to someone interested in starting a career in radio technology.
We’re looking for someone who has a passion for community, radio, and KCAW’s mission. If you have these qualities, this job is for you:
- Good at problem solving: you like to trace the root cause of an issue and correct it systematically.
- Interested in music and audio: you are curious about the structure of sound & how it’s made.
- Service-oriented: you like to help others. You feel comfortable working with people of all skill levels, across a whole spectrum of accommodations.
- Organized: you can keep track of many projects and follow through on deadlines. You also can ask for help when you see a need for it.
- Comfort with IT: we use Google Suite in the office. Microsoft is what our behind-the-scenes tech runs on. You may not know everything about these systems, but you want to learn & spend time in front of a screen.
- Can follow structure: what you hear on the radio follows a path through many different pieces of equipment and software. You feel comfortable following that path to troubleshoot problems.
- Safety skills: you are willing to learn basic mechanical and safety skills including use of power tools.
- Creative: you are an original, imaginative person – and you like to encourage others to be creative too!
- Willing to grow: you are open to different ideas and ways of working, and accept meaningful feedback.
Administratively, this role reports directly to the General Manager. The Operations Apprentice works closely with the Operations Director in the day-to-day duties of this position – and coordinates their schedule with the Operations Director’s work.
- Knowledge of and passion for community radio and KCAW’s mission.
- A strong commitment to community involvement and public service.
- Exceptional organizational skills. You’re a self-starter!
- We’re especially excited to talk to local, Sitka-based applicants.
Salary starts at $18.07 per hour, working a maximum of 30 hours a week to start. This position is classified part-time, non-exempt. KCAW is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
HOW TO APPLY
Send a resume, cover letter and up to 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications accepted until position is filled. Initial screening begins August 30th, 2021.