The Sitka Summer Music Festival continues through July 2nd, drawing together world-class musicians for chamber music concerts. Artistic director Zuill Bailey talks about this week’s performances and is joined by Andrew Yee of the internationally-acclaimed Attacca Quartet.
In commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the transfer of Alaska, the program will feature a number of Russian-born musicians, including Natasha Paremski, Yuliya Gorenman, and Nikita and Margarita Borisevich. The Friday and Saturday evening concerts will showcase works by Russian composers Tchaikovsky, Glazunov, Arensky, Taneyev, Shostakovich, Rimsky-Korsakov, and Prokofiev, and American composers John Corigliano, Phillip Glass, Michael Daugherty, and Amy Beach. Click here for more information.
Sitka Summer Music Festival Weekly Schedule
Tuesdays – The Week in Preview
- 5:30pm at Stevenson Hall– Music educator Susan Reed hosts an informal discussion about the composers & pieces that are on the programs for the week. Guest artists will often drop by!
Wednesdays – Cafe Concert
- 6:30pm – A free 1-hr concert in a local restaurant (rotates weekly)
Thursdays – Bach’s Lunch
- 12:15 at Odess Theater – A free 1-hr concert (June 8, 15, and 22 only – no concert June 29)
Fridays & Saturdays – Formal Evening Concerts
- 7:30 pm at Harrigan Centennial Hall – Pre-concert lecture and interview with an artist begins at 6:45. NOTE: for the final week of the Festival, these concerts will held on Thursday & Friday, June 29-30, instead of Friday-Saturday.
Sundays – Special Events
- June 11 at 3pm – Free family concert at the Sheet’ka Kwaan Naa Kahidi
- June 18 at 3pm – Crab feed (no music, but it’s a popular community event – outdoor picnic of crab and all the fixings; a fundraiser for our organization)
- June 25 at 6pm – A 3-hour dinner cruise with Allen Marine Tours in Sitka Sound including a live musical performance
- July 2 at 11am – Brunch in a private home with concert
- Week 1 | June 6 – 12: The Attacca Quartet; violinist Kurt Nikkanen; violist Scott Rawls; cellist Zuill Bailey; pianists Maria Asteriadou and Natasha Paremski
- Week 2 | June 13-19: soprano Kate Bass; violinist Ben Breen; cellist Zuill Bailey; pianists Yuliya Gorenman, Natasha Paremski, and Susan Reed
- Week 3 | June 14-19: June 20-26: flutist Amy Taylor; violinist/violist Christian Colberg; violist Martin Sher; cellists Zuill Bailey and Jia Kim; pianists Natasha Paremski and Susan Reed
- Week 4 | June 27-July 2: violinists Nikita Borisevich and Paul Rosenthal; violist Martin Sher; cellists Zuill Bailey, Jia Kim, & Melissa Kraut; pianists Margarita Borisevich and Navah Perlman